Tuesday, December 13, 2011

P.H.D or not?

Recently, I was surprised by my FYP prof who offered me to continue phd study. I was shocked + a bit 'am chio' at first actually because I thought aren't only those 'smart' people will be offered to study phd? Am I considered be a smart student already in NUS? Haha. But looking at my result, I don't think so. I am just about the average.

This question has been bothering me for quite some time. Should I take up this offer and start another miserable 4years life (at least!!) in NUS again? Continue PHD means I will have a constant pay throughout my PHD study. I will gain research skill (of course the PHD degree in the end) but will lack in communication skill. Conversely, I may get higher pay if I start to work after my graduation. If I spend this 4 years in one company, my pay would definitely be higher than what the PHD scholarship can pay me. I can even get the working experience sooner. Afterall, PHD students still have to come out to work. If I start to work earlier, I will have advantage on this.

After thinking so long, the final decision will still depend on my interest. When you have interest on something, the momentum will be strong and it will help you to overcome everything that obstructs your path. Don't ever force yourselves to do something that doesn't interest you at all. Your heart will be signalling you and you should listen to it. Now, I think I know where my interest lies with, I think in my heart I have already had a decision.

1 comment: